Update: TO clear any possible confusion, the JIDF (Jewish Internet Defense Force) has nothing to do with the IDF (Israel Defense Force) and is not affiliated in any way with the government of Israel. I support and embrace a sovereign and independent nation of Israel and oppose any and all attempts to disarm, partition or otherwise damage it. This article is concerned not primarily with the personality of Glenn Beck, but of the ability of even usually good organizations to use and descend to slander and deception when they put an agenda ahead of the truth.
I only address this issue because I take such matters of racial hatred seriously, and that charges of racism/anti-Semitism should only be made when there is clear and indisputable proof of said charge. The Jewish Internet Defense Force (JIDF) has often taken a decent stand and I have stood with them on some issues. However, I cannot stand with an organization that condones, sanctions and engages in slander and outright fabrications of the truth. Recently, they have been attacking Glenn Beck as an anti-Semite, without any credible sourcing. Further, it must be noted before reading this that it has become clear through this episode that the JIDF defines witnessing and reaching out to Jewish people with Jesus Christ as anti-Semitism on par with the Holocaust, “Hitler’s dream.” This would qualify many people who genuinely love the Jewish people as anti-Semites. The JIDF also counts the New Testament of the Bible as anti-Semite too, and has demonstrated animosity towards Messianic Jews, who have accepted Yeshua (Jesus) as the Messiah. These things said, now lets examine the JIDF’s claims against Glenn Beck:
1. JIDF claims that Beck placed the guilt of Jesus’s death on the entire Jewish population saying, “He promoted the anti-Semitic idea that the Jews killed Jesus to millions. All of us. We’re all to blame, apparently.”
Regarding the YouTube video link above, one YouTube user said this, and it is true:
another misrepresentation by TYT. He is clearly stating that christ was NOT victimized by the jews. If you understand the actual context of his statement (which you wont unless you see the whole thing…which I have) then you understand that he is stating that THE JEWISH PEOPLE ARE NOT TO HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE DEATH OF JESUS. He is stating that the “jesus as a victim” theology is an abomination..which it is. TYT….i can actually smell the shame from here….jgmetals81
Further, Glenn Beck wrote the following letter to the ADL, which is on their website and which I here quote in its entirety:
Thank you for the note and for reaching out to me.
As you assumed, it was certainly not my intention to say what I have been accused of saying. I strongly believe that it is a historical fact that the Romans, not the Jews, put Jesus to death and that fact has been confirmed by the Roman Catholic Church and other Christian denominations.
Although the words I chose did not make this clear, I was trying to reference accusations that have been made against the Jews and how some of those accusations have led to horrors like the Inquisition as they were permitted to go unchallenged.
While as a non-Jew, I can never fully understand the suffering that has resulted from the historically inaccurate deicide charge, as someone with German heritage, I recognize the horrors that have been perpetrated on Jews throughout history and have asked if my ancestors knew what was taking place and looked the other way or how they could not have known of the horrors taking place. .
Thank you again for reaching out to me, I appreciate the opportunity to clarify my thoughts and would welcome the chance to continue the dialogue so I can better understand the injustices that your organization is committed to fighting.
The ADL accepts Beck’s clarification, but the JIDF does not.
2. The JIDF claims Beck endorsed an anti-Semite while discussing the book “The Red Network,” written by Elizabeth Dilling in 1934. Here is a segment of the transcript posted on Glenn Beck.com where he discusses the book:
GLENN: Oh, I know. I know. This here is a pocket history of the American Revolution, pocket history, 1826. Now, I’m getting a lot of people sending their books in. I think they are mainly from people who are like, “I don’t have any relatives to leave them to and I know you’ll preserve them.” And I will. In fact, I had a conversation with my daughters yesterday when I came home. I showed them these books and I said, I will come back from the grave if I ever see anybody with jam hands generations down the road that don’t appreciate what these books are. But I’m also getting these. This is a book, the Red Network. This came in from 1936. People — McCarthy was absolutely right. Now, he may have used bad tactics or whatever, but he was absolutely right. This is a book — and I’m getting a ton of these from people who were doing what we’re doing now. We now are documenting who all of these people are. Well, there were Americans in the first 50 years of this nation that took this seriously and they documented it. And this is from 1936. And in it, it talks about, it’s The Who’s Who and Handbook For Radicalism For Patriots. This is, who were the communists in America. The overwhelming number of communists? Labor unions.
The other thing that they talked about was, in this book that I was reading last night, they said, you know, there’s this — there’s this teachers union thing but you really want to know who the real radical communists are? The NEA. That’s 1936. And they are talking about this new organization that is really nasty that you really have to look out for. The NEA. But everything this book has talked about they have mainstreamed.
Until I read it, I can’t comment on the book’s content, but, given Beck’s record, I doubt he would knowingly give place to anti-Semitism. Beck was discussing a book he was reading that exposed communism in America, and said that regarding communism, the book had a prophetic element to it. It should also be noted that, according to Wikipedia, Dillings didn’t give place to anti-Semitism until 1940:
She then wrote The Roosevelt Red Record and Its Background (1936), condemning the New Deal, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and officials in his administration, claiming they had strong links to Communists. In The Octopus (1940), which she wrote under the pseudonym Rev. Frank Woodruff Johnson, she attacked the Jewish Anti-Defamation League and linked Jews to communism. It was then that she shifted her emphasis to Jews as being responsible for all the world’s problems, partly based on her readings of the Talmud.
This should mean that Red Network was not an anti-Semitic work, however, I will not assert this until I have read the book.
3. The JIDF accuses Glenn Beck of trivializing the Holocaust. Apparently they believe that examining the many evil elements of the National Socialist agenda is equal to trivializing the Holocaust. One must also note that Germany did not go from Weimar Republic to Holocaust over night, and there were many incremental changes that set the state for an atrocity of that magnitude to occur in a supposedly civilized country. Unfortunately, the best source they offer is “Countdown with Keith Olbermann, obviously not someone to go to for an unbiased analysis of Glenn Beck:
As you can see, even in these cherry-picked seconds long snippets, Glenn Beck does not call any of these things “the Holocaust” but merely discusses aspects of Nazi (National Socialist) teaching and policy. Nothing Anti-Semitic about it. And Keith certainly doesn’t understand the danger of allowing empathy to take the place of the law, and is ignorant of the dangers of government funded propaganda, but those are topics for another place and time.
4. They take issue with Beck’s list of “most dangerous people,” accusing Beck of being an anti-semite because he denounced the following individuals. I have hyper-lined each individual to his discussion on GlennBeck.com, and I will let you be the judge of whether or not these individuals deserve to be denounced, without regard to their alleged backgrounds (brief quotes are from the linked article):
· Edward Bernays: Bernays believed that people were motivated by irrational, animal urges. It was a philosophy of the Progressive era, much different than that of the Founders. He believed people were motivated by self-preservation, security, aggression or sex. He shared many of the same theories as Freud.
· Sigmund Freud: Freud basic tenet: hidden deep within all human beings were dangerous and irrational desires and fears. People are not rational – we have inside of us powerful sexual and aggressive forces that were remnants of our animal past. Feelings we repressed because they were too dangerous.
· George Soros: QUOTE: “I don’t deny the Jews their right to a national existence–but I don’t want to be part of it.” That experience notwithstanding, Soros has chosen to exclude Israel and Jewish causes, by and large, from his massive philanthropy-a decision that has caused comment among one of his colleagues in the financial community, particularly those who are strong supporters of Israel. In Hungary, Soros has been subject to anti-Semitic attacks. Referring to being a target, Soros, in his book “Underwriting Democracy,” wrote, “I am ready to stand up and be counted.” When I mentioned that rather suggestive line to Soros during one of several extended interviews with him, he responded quickly, “Right. It took me a long time.”
· Cass Sunstein: The office of information and regulatory affairs, Cass Sunstein who I maintain is the most dangerous man in America because you never see this guy coming. According to Red State, Cass Sunstein had championed creating fake websites and using outside 501(c)(3) interest groups to act as alleged independent champions of government policy and to, quote, cognitively infiltrate, end quote, opposition websites.
·Andy Stern, QUOTE: “We created global trade, we created global finance. We created global companies, but we forgot to create a global government.”
· Walter Lippman: Walter Lippmann was the guy who every journalist in America has studied and hails as a hero. He was a eugenicist or eugenics guy. He was a progressive, he was a member of Woodrow Wilson’s administration. He was a really evil dude. When he when Walter Lippmann heard about Fabian Socialism, he said the guys opened up for him. But Stuart Chase just went and became a Fabian Socialist with him at Harvard.
· Frances Fox Piven: The above video shows Frances Fox Piven, in her own words, calling for chaos and manipulating current events in order to achieve the goals of the progressive movement.
· Ed Rendell:(Link is to full article which is provided on Glenn’s abbreviated article. Not really much on Beck’s site if Beck Considers him one of the “most dangerous, its not readily clear on his website: QUOTE: Glenn highlights the real problem with ‘discourse’ in America today – superiority. He plays the incredibly revealing audio clip of Ed Rendell trying to explain his position on an issue, and when the guest disagrees his reaction is shocking. Read more and watch a free clip HERE.
5. The JIDF takes Glenn Beck’s ignorance of some of the tenants of “Reform Judaism, and transliterates it into blame for a forum poster blaming 9/11 on Israel!
That’s right. Despite the fact that the Glenn Beck forum itself identifies the 9/11 attackers as mostly the Muslim Brotherhood. The JIDF’s slander of Glenn Beck has echoed across the internet, leading others to blame the ludictrus article, which doesn’t show up using the JIDF’s google search hyperlink that is supposed to prove Glenn Beck believes Israel did 9/11. What a vicious and deceitful way to slander someone. But according to the JIDF, it is true because someone was repeating in forums related to Glenn Beck, the 9/12 movement, Pat Buchanan and Ron Paul. The JIDF doesn’t even take care to note that Glenn Beck has absolutely no control over the individual 9/12 groups, and that trolls can join groups and post obscene things and then go away.
They end this point with the ridiculous assertion that based on one screw ball’s alleged post that, ” it’s no wonder that many of Beck’s fans believe that Israel was responsible for 9/11. I do not know why they have such animosity towards Beck now. Well actually, it will become apparent with the final point.
A comment in response to their coverage here, had this to say:
You have no proof Glenn Beck wrote this. You are relying on a post by a nobody. You are guilty of the 9th commandment. You are trying to slander Glenn Beck’s reputation w no evidence at all. I did not expect this from you guys. I watch his show daily and he is pro-Israel all the way. I know he would never say such a thing. You are being just like the media, posting lies and ruining somebody’s reputation without evidence of wrongdoing. I did not expect this low from this group. Glenn Beck 5:00 EST fox channel. Folks watch it and see for yourselves! Also, check out all of the replies to this article on facebook.
6. Then, they blame Glenn Beck for the alleged Mormon practice of baptising Dead Jews to convert them to mormonism! But that is just a side rant, here’s the kicker, and the reason for that animosity, and I quote:
And no, his superficial “support” for Israel to get all the Jews there so that he and his Mormon and Christian “Rapture Ready” minions can convert us, does not convince us that he does not hate Jews. “Support” like that—with an agenda to convert (ie. destroy) Jews—is not support at all, it’s a Hitler-esque dream.
The JIDF equates preaching salvation through Christ (and most of what I have heard Glenn Beck say about Jesus and Christianity has been basic Christian doctrine, not Mormon doctrine. They assert that preaching destroys Jews, and that it is tantamount to Hitler’s “dream.” Hey, JIDF, isn’t that trivializing the Holocaust, which you so baselessly and deceptively accused Glenn Beck of doing earlier? Equating a gospel tract, or a quote of John 3:16 to committing genocide is ridiculous.
But it doesn’t end there. They even take credit for Glenn Beck’s departure from his TV show on Fox News:
All of this explains why we called for him to be fired. And within two days of doing so, he was. (Never mind that Van Jones’ group, ColorofChange.org also declared the same thing too – Wolfe) It was probably a “coincidence,” but we’re glad still when stuff like that happens. It gives us a shred of faith that there might be a shred of justice in an overwhelmingly unjust world. The fact that this nutcase Glenn Beck influences millions and makes millions is just one of the many things wrong with it. Beyond this, our pointing out the facts does not mean that we are diving our people. If anyone is responsible for so much disunity among right and left wing Jews, it’s people like Glenn Beck, who obsess and express so much hatred toward our left-wing brethren. Who can blame them for voting for Obama when right wing nutcases like Glenn Beck foster so much hatred and vitriol toward them? Is that going to bring us closer to them, or further away? Like it or not, left wing Jews are our brethren. We can “convert” them to the right wing through our smarts, not by blaming all the world’s problems on them, as idiots like Glenn Beck and his fans always do.
In this post, the JIDF is claiming racial solidarity (because clearly people like Soros and Stern are not practicing the Jewish faith, 10 commandments, etc) trumps ideological unity, which is in line with the progressive agenda and which keeps people from recognizing those who are out to harm all of us! The JIDF, throws all of its principles under the bus and espouses the left’s racial solidarity and translates it into an us verses them. Glenn Beck has been open and outspoken against far left ideologues, politicians, and celebrities of every stripe. This charge from the JIDF is absurd in the highest fashion. Even one of the racists in the anti-semitic forums that came up from one of the hyperlinks posted by the JIDF said this: “A small part of me wonders if he tries to slip little things in without getting himself in too much trouble. I doubt it but the possibility is perhaps there. But, and this is a big but, when he speaks on the actual topics of J (capitalization mine) ews and Israel he is a HUGE Philosemite and typical neo con.” You can google it to find the quote if you like, I do not wish to post links to hate forums.